Hillary Clinton recently said that half of Trump supporters were “a basket of deplorables!” She later said that her definition of “deplorables” included racists, misogynists, Islamaphobic, and xenophobes among others and apologized for making such a sweeping generalization. Half of Trump supporters aren’t deplorables. They just don’t care about the ones that are.
The list of things you have to ignore to be a Trump followed is long indeed:
- He Doesn’t Know Anything About Anything. – Trump was praised by some at the Commander in Chief Forum for his short answers which to some demonstrated his ability to “get to the heart of issues.” The truth is he couldn’t come up with a long answer because he doesn’t know enough. If he had been asked about “Aleppo” as was Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson. Is there anyone out there who thinks Trump could have answered the question or knew what it was? He doesn’t have any depth on any issue which is why his positions are always changing. He can’t remember what he said last. When called out on discrepancies, he simply says any suggestion he once held a previous position are lies.
- He Is a Racist. – I’m not saying he has made a few racist statements. I’m saying that rarely has there ever been an individual whose racism is so well documented. He had his employees mark rental applications from black renters, “C for colored” and denied them housing. When the Justice Department sued, he settled but they had to come back three years later for non-compliance. His black employees at his casinos were hidden from him so he wouldn’t have to see them. He said, “Laziness is a trait in blacks.” He also said, “Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are little short guys that wear yarmulkes every day.” He says, “Mexicans are rapists.” He proposed a ban on all Muslims.
- He Lies – For all of his talk about “Dishonest Hillary Clinton”, he lies in almost every statement of any length he makes. I won’t bother to point them out because if his supporters are honest they already know. He lies because he knows nothing, so he simply makes it up.
- He’s Dangerous – He just said he’d start a shooting war with Iran for giving American sailors the finger. He won’t rule out nuclear attack… in Europe. His ISIS policy is a “secret plan” that you know isn’t real. Is this really the man you want to be President?
- He’s Incoherent – Okay this is maybe my pet peeve but can you imagine 4-8 years of Trump speeches and press conferences? I’d have to change the channel and watch cartoons or old movies.
There’s so much more but it if you acknowledge that all of these are true things, how can you vote for him anyway? I won’t generalize and cast you all as “deplorable” but I have some theories:
- You Hate Hillary – You have hated Hillary since she walked into the White House as First Lady and have been fed 30 years of reinforcement from the right about how evil she is. This view amazingly isn’t shared by the Republicans who worked with her in the Senate who found her honest, reasonable, and productive. But the high marks she received as a Senator and Secretary of State were immediately erased when she announced her run for the Presidency. I believe some of you hate Hillary so much that you are willing to consider any alternative. I invite you to examine Donald Trump and consider what that would look like were he to actually become President.
- Party First – Maybe you are a loyal Republican and believe in certain principles you feel the Republicans offer the best chance to implement. Small government, fiscal responsibility, (I can’t go on, give me credit for coming up with two). Ask yourself, does Donald Trump represent any Republican value? He who views bankruptcy as financial planning. He’s promised to build up the military, make border patrol 5 times larger, build an expensive wall along the Southern border which despite all his protestations, Mexico won’t pay for. He suddenly wants to do more for schools and his plans would call for dramatic increases in immigration review and enforcement. How expensive will it be to monitor all the mosques and increase the size of police forces in all the urban areas (more racism if you missed it.) The two things you don’t get in a Trump administration are small government and fiscal responsibility.
- You Want To Make America Great Again – This is going to hurt some feelings because of the inherent racism and sexism in the slogan, to begin with. Saying you want to make America great sounds patriotic, who can argue with that except for the premise that somehow America isn’t great now? It’s the “Again” that Trump nor his followers ever explain. He does tell us often enough on other subjects, “And you know what I mean!” Again to a period before a black President. Again to a period where white men reigned supreme. He has specifically advocated voter suppression in North Carolina and Pennsylvania and said “only cheating” could lead to his loss in November. If you want Trump to make America great again, what does again mean to you?
- The Rest – Of course, there are the deplorables who have found a home in the Trump campaign. The Trump Campaign CEO is the one man around the campaign with more documented racism than Trump himself. He is certainly one of the leaders of the Alt-Right and his influence is showing more and more. The Klan, John Birch Society, and multiple white nationalist organizations have voiced their support for Trump. Paul Manafort had to go because of the scrutiny over his ties to Russia. The remainder of his staff is still there and now Trump appears criticizing America on Russian TV? There is a civil lawsuit proceeding against Trump for the rape of a 13-year-old girl along with known pedophile and Trump friend, Jeffrey Epstein. There is documentation of Trump’s abuses of immigration law in his operation of Trump Model Management. He employed hundreds of undocumented workers on his projects and the list of people he refused to pay for services performed is lengthy. During the campaign, the majority of his policy formation team quit for non-payment and he’s being sued by a group of young girls that performed at a couple of his rallies.
This is but a snapshot of the Republican Nominee that more and more Republicans have found a way to support. I don’t want to lump Trump supporters into any category. I had one Trump supporter say to me, “Well at least he’s not politically correct!” That’s a fine reason to vote for someone for President (Sarcasm for those that missed it.)